*New PACT route (Pittsburg) beginning June 17. Ask your driver for a schedule. *SEK-CAP Agency & Services will be closed on Wednesday, June 19, 2024 in observance of Juneteenth.
sek-cap logo



Rental Assistance Programs

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, also known as Section 8, is a federal initiative aimed at assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. This program, administered locally by Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) using federal funds, allows participants to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments, not limiting them to subsidized housing projects. Families that qualify for this program pay 30% of their income towards their gross rent (rent plus utility allowance), with the PHA paying the remainder directly to the landlord.

The Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) Program is funded by The Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC) and is administered under the HUD HOME rules and regulations. This program mirrors the HUD Section 8 Program in many respects. It is used solely to assist homeless (or at-risk) families and individuals. KHRC allows SEK-CAP to make security and utility deposits on behalf of eligible tenants leasing up in our Section 8 or TBRA programs, depending on funding availability. 


*Program participants on either of these rental assistance programs are required to pay at least 30% of their income towards their gross rent, but could end up paying more if the gross rent is above the established payment standards.

Affordable housing solutions in Southeast Kansas

SEK-CAP is a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO), as certified by Kansas Housing Resources Corporation. As such, we offer 52 affordable housing units located throughout Southeast Kansas. Housing opportunities include apartments, homes, and duplexes. To qualify, applicants must meet income guidelines and all applicable program regulations.

image of a house

SEK-CAP Rental Properties

Sun Crest View Apartments

62+ and/or Disabled Household income at or below 50% Area Median Income Rental amount based on income.

Cherokee Duplexes

55+ and/or Disabled Household income must be below 80% or 50% Area Median Income based on unit availability.

CHDO Rental Properties

Household income at or below 100% Area Median Income.

Information for Landlords

To become a Section 8/TBRA landlord, you do not have to do anything until a program participant wants to rent your unit. Owners/Landlords may advertise that they are participating in Section 8 or TBRA programs by listing their properties online or in the newspaper and including the phrase “will accept Section 8 or TBRA.” Owners/Landlords may also request SEK-CAP to add them to their Landlord List that is given out to qualified program participants by contacting the SEK-CAP Housing Department (620-724-8204). When a family has been determined to be eligible for assistance, they will receive a Voucher (Form HUD-52646) or a Coupon. Then they begin their search for a suitable unit.

image of a man opening a door for a couple

Stay Updated