When we help each other, we can help everyone.
By supporting SEK-CAP, you can play a vital role in assisting Southeast Kansans with housing, transportation, early childhood education, and more.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Itinerate Teacher travels to a variety of classrooms within our early learning centers to provide children the necessary academic, social, and behavior skills, while adjusting their teaching to the individual needs of each student in the classroom. This position support continuity of children’s education and care by providing classroom support to ensure appropriate adult/child ratios, while supporting an interesting and secure environment that encourages play, exploration, and learning using space, relationships, materials, and routines as resources. Work as an effective team member in each site as assigned. Applies knowledge of Head Start Program Performance Standards, Kansas Child Care Licensing Regulations, and professional standards to provide a safe, healthy learning environment. This position is provided with a weekly schedule and uses an agency assigned vehicle to drive from their home to assigned centers.
• Follows established weekly schedule and remains flexible to meet needs of assigned centers.
• Follow the daily schedule and allow children the opportunity to make choices in learning experiences. • Interact with children in ways that facilitate the development of expressive language and thought.
• Work cooperatively and appropriately with co-workers, professional partners, and volunteers.
• Adapt the indoor and outdoor activities to maximize the independence of children with Special Needs.
• Demonstrate realistic expectations about children’s attention spans, interests, social abilities, and physical needs.
• Provide additional resources to staff to enhance the curriculum.
• Comply with Head Start Performance Standards, Licensing Requirements, and Program Policies and Procedures.
• Utilize Positive Behavior Support (PBS) strategies to prevent and defuse disruptive behavior.
• Respect and support cultural differences and diverse family structures.
• Attend mandatory In-Service training and staff meetings.
• Responsibility to report any suspected abuse or neglect to the appropriate authority.
• Advocate for SEK-CAP, Inc. in the community.
• Maintain and assure confidentiality and privacy of SEK-CAP, Inc. customers.
• Uphold and promote the core values and mission statement of SEK-CAP, Inc.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Basic computer skills and use of established agency software.
• Basic operation skills of general office equipment such as photocopiers, faxes, and phone systems.
• Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public and to communicate effectively and clearly both orally and in writing.
• Resourceful and well organized.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with co-workers, community partners, and customers.
• Ability to learn and adapt to change.
Desired but not necessary:
• Previous Head Start experience.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Associate or bachelor’s degree in early childhood or related field.
• Work experience in the field of Early Childhood Education is preferred.
• Obtain KDHE Program approval.
• Have a current certification or ability to obtain First Aid and CPR certification within 30 days of employment.
• Complete a physical exam and TB skin test before beginning employment and as requested per established policies.
• Submit to and pass a standard criminal history check.
• Submit to and pass standard drug screen test.
• Possess current, valid driver’s license and meet agency insurance underwriting guidelines.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sit or occasionally stand; walk and stoop, kneel, or crouch
• Regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds
• Occasional exposure to outdoor weather conditions
• Noise level is usually quiet to moderate