SEK-CAP Seeking Governing Board Nominees
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 1, 2014
SEK-CAP SEEKING GOVERNING BOARD NOMINEES
Girard – Southeast Kansas Community Action Program (SEK-CAP), a 501(c) 3 not for profit organization, is seeking names for nomination and election to the SEK-CAP Governing Board of Directors as a representative of low-income citizens. As a Community Action Agency, SEK-CAP conforms to federal legislation requiring a tri-partite board of directors, with equal representation from the low-income community, elected public officials, and the private sector.
SEK-CAP has one vacancy on their nine-member board, and seeks qualified low-income individuals or designated individuals representing a low-income group or constituency. It is essential that the persons submitted for consideration will represent the views and interest of low-income citizens of Southeast Kansas. Furthermore, they must:
- Express interest in assisting disadvantaged citizens by taking a leadership role;
- Demonstrate a strong interest in community capacity building around the issues of poverty;
- Have a history of accomplishment in community services;
- Be a low-income person (at or below 185% of the federal poverty level) or a person who is regularly employed or volunteering in service to low-income people; and
- Reside within SEK-CAP’s twelve county service area.
The board position is non-salaried. The full board meets at minimum six times annually, on the third Thursday of alternating months, beginning in January, from 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm; attendance at these meetings is mandatory. Board members may be reimbursed for travel and other reasonable expenses incurred while attending meetings and transacting the business of SEK-CAP.